A Scrabble Mosaic Table
I covered an old folding table with Scrabble tiles to create a mosaic out of the pieces, and then added Scrabble racks to create a border for the table. I also stained some of the tiles in the mosaic to spell out a quote ("We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing") amongst the otherwise random mosaic tiles -- as well as to sign my name. Overall if only took a few hours from start to finish once I got all the materials. Feel free to contact me at Ari@PilotYid.com with any questions.
Materials and Construction:
- Small folding table
- Scrabble Tiles: I bought them online in sets of 100, but you can also find them on eBay. I glued each piece individually using wood glue.
- Scrabble Racks: I used them to border the table and create a container for the tiles. I bought these on eBay.
- Wood Glue: Used to glue the tiles and the racks to the table
- Water-based polyurethane: to seal and protect the finished table and Scrabble racks
- Small hand saw: Needed this to cut some of the racks to size
- Wood stain marker (by Minwax): To stain the Scrabble tiles used in the quote. Could have also used Scrabble Deluxe tiles which are a darker color, but you would have to find those on eBay.
- Wood screws: To screw the Scrabble racks to the table
- Sand paper: To sand down the tiles that didn't fit exactly. I found that not all Scrabble tiles are exactly the same size.
- Microsoft Excel: to figure out how I was going to lay out the tiles in the mosaic before I began to glue them down.
Pictures (Click for larger size):
Disclaimer: This site/page is not endorsed by Hasbro, Scrabble Game, Online Scrabble, Scrabble Dictionaries, etc, etc, etc. Just me trying to have some fun.